Sunday, September 02, 2007

Labor Day....From a Mom's Point of View!!


From Wikipedia:
Labor Day is a United States federal holiday that takes place on the first Monday in September. The holiday began in 1882, originating from a desire by the Central Labor Union to create a day off for the "working man".

hmmmmm..........how about the working stay at home mom??!!
I remember like it was yesterday the first time I realized that moms don't get a day off. Sammy was just a few weeks old and I woke up in the morning sick as a dog. I remember thinking, "wait...I don't ever get a day off. No sick days, no personal days, nothing!" On call 24/7! That's a mommy's life. Moms know the real meaning of labor day...we do it every day! We don't even get weekends off and they created a special holiday for themselves! Silly!
Sometimes when I don't feel good or didn't sleep well because of a newborn waking during the night I'll say to my wonderful husband in the morning "I'm calling out sick today". He lovingly rolls his eyes and says "yeah! right!"
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE being a mommy. I truly never imagined that I would get married, let alone have these two beautiful boys! Growing up I always had the recurring dream that I was the single jet-setting aunt who dropped in on my sister and her beautiful home with kids running everywhere. I would give them gifts and snicker as she made them all dinner. Then I would leave and that was the end of the dream. Now I find myself doing what I never imagined, but always wanted!
There's no better job than being at home with my boys. I have no desire to ever go back to work! I love being with them!
I guess they can have their Labor Day, but I'm throwing a stink next Mother's Day if I don't at least get to take a nice nap!! =)
Happy Labor Day!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I understand what you mean. I love being a mom, but it can be overwhelming at times. That is one reason that I LOVE one of my house rules: quite/nap time at 2pm everyday! That is when I get 'recharged'. So I guess I spread my 'Labor Day' out throughout the year!!